Dr Shabbir Ally (Ali) holds a B.A. in Religious Studies from Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, with a specialization in Biblical Literature. He also holds an M.A. and a Ph.D from the University of Toronto with a specialization in Quranic Exegesis. He is the president of the Islamic Information & Dawah Centre International in Toronto where he functions as Imam. He travels internationally to represent Islam in public lectures and interfaith dialogues.
He takes part in debates with Christians, gives dawah, lectures and book reviews on various issues related with Islam.
Website : Shabbir Ally
YouTube : Quran Speaks
Shabbir Ali debates
Podcasts : listen here
Initiatives : Islamic Information & Dawah Centre International
Quran translation recommended by Shabbir Ally (can be downloaded for free) : Wahiduddin Khan
Some articles :
- Problems with Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s Heretic: Why Islam Needs a Reformation Now (link)
- This helpful guide by Dr. Shabir Ally helps the reader understand the history, context, and significance of the Quran. As well, readers are introduced to the major themes found in the Quran. (link)
- Mathematical miracles in Quran (link)
Other resources : link
Tim Winter/Abdul Hakim Murad is the Shaykh Zayed Lecturer in Islamic Studies, Director of Studies, Wolfson College at Cambridge University. He is also the Dean, The Cambridge Muslim College which trains imams/clerics in UK.
He converted to Islam in his early age and has since devoted his life to study and teach Islam. He has been rated as one of the most influential Muslims in Britain by 500 most influential Muslims.
Website : Tim Winter
You Tube : Cambridge Muslim College
(Just search his name on You Tube and you will get hundreds of videos.)
Institution : College of Divinity, Cambridge University
Other initiatives :
Cambridge Muslim college
Recommended reading list on Islam : link
Select authored Books :
- Understanding the four madhabs
Key Publications :
- ‘Terrorism and Islamic theologies of religiously-sanctioned war’, in Brian Wicker and David Fisher (eds), Just War on Terror? Christian and Muslim Responses. ( London: Ashgate 2010), 9-24.
- ‘Biografska skica Marmaduke Pickthall’, Godisnkak BZK Preporod 9 (2009), 367-383.
- ‘Jesus and Muhammad: new convergences’, Muslim World 99 (2009), 21-38.
- ‘Poverty and the charism of Ishmael’, in Michael Ipgrave (ed.), Building a Better Bridge: Muslims, Christians and the Common Good ( Georgetown: Georgetown University Press, 2008), 141-52, 168-71.
- The Cambridge Companion to Classical Islamic Theology (edited volume). (Cambridge University Press, 2008), editor, also Introduction, pp.1-16.
- ‘Ibn Kemal (940/1538) on Ibn ‘Arabi’s hagiology’. In Ayman Shihadeh (ed.), Sufism and Theology ( Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2007), 137-157.
- Islam ve Hıristiyanlık: politik-teoloji denemeleri . ( Istanbul: Etkili s im, 2007.)
- ‘Islamism and Europe’s Muslims: recent trends’, in Muslim Integration: Challenging conventional wisdom in Europe and the United States ( Washington: Center for Strategic and International Studies, 2007), 33-44.
- ‘Ishmael and the Enlightenment’s crise de coeur: a response to Koshul and Kepnes,’ in Basit Bilal Koshul and Stephen Kepnes (eds), Scripture, Reason, and the Contemporary Islam-West Encounter: Studying the ‘Other’, Understanding the ‘Self’ ( New York and Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007), 149-175.
- ‘Mary in Islam’, in Sarah Jane Boss, Mary: The Complete Resource ( London: Continuum, 2007), 479-502.
- ‘Qur’anic Reasoning as an academic practice’, Modern Theology 22:3 (July 2006), 449-63.
- Abraham’s Children: Jews, Muslims and Christians in Conversation (Edited, with Richard Harries and Norman Solomon) ( Edinburgh: T&T Clark / Continuum, 2006).
Watch this 8 part series : “Understanding Islam” produced by Islam on demand. He explains topics like – 5 pillars of Islam, sharia, ijtihad, Muslim theology, sufism/tasawwuf, etc.
Jonathon Brown is an associate professor of Islamic Civilization at Georgetown University and Alwaleed bin Talal Chair of Islamic Civilization in the School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University, and the Director of the Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim Christian Understanding.
He converted to Islam at about 19-20 years of age.He mentions the university course on Islam and Muhammad Asad’s autobiography The Road to Mecca as an important influence on him.
He has written books on the subject of hadith and his latest book Misquoting Muhammad: The Challenges and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet’s Legacy (Oneworld : 2014) was named as one of the top books on religion by the Independent.
He has also written articles on Islamic law, Salafism, Sufism, Arabic lexical theory and Pre-Islamic poetry and is the editor in chief of the Oxford Encyclopedia of Islam and Law. Dr. Brown’s current research interests include Islamic legal reform and a translation of Sahih al-Bukhari.
Website : Dr Jonathon Brown
Institution : Georgetown University
Other initiatives : Yaqeen Institute for Islamic Research
Books authored :
- Muhammad: A Very Short Introduction
- Hadith: Muhammad’s Legacy in the Medieval and Modern World
- The Canonization of al-Bukhari and Muslim: The Formation and Function of the Sunni Hadith Canon.
- Misquoting Muhammad The Challenges and Choices of Interpreting the Prophet’s Legacy (2014)
Some Publications :
- Stoning and Hand Cutting – Understanding the Hudud and the Shariah in Islam (link)
- Did the Prophet Say It or Not? The Literal, Historical, and Effective Truth of Hadīths in Early Sunnism (link)
- How Much Does Islamic Law Change When Customs Change? (link)
- The Issue of Apostasy in Islam (link)
Other publications : link
Hamza Yusuf Hanson is one of the most prominent Western Muslims in the world today appearing at international platforms like World Economic Forum, TV channels like BBC, Al Jazeera,etc.
He converted to Islam in his early age after having a near death experience after a car accident. He has been trained in classical Islamic tradition at Mauritania in the Shafi school of jurisprudence. He has mastered both Arabic and English and uses them fluently while delivering lectures and sermons adding it with the rich knowledge of Western tradition along with Islamic tradition. He travels worldwide and speaks on a variety of issues.
He is the co-founder of the Zaytuna college at Berkley, California, USA which is the first Muslim liberal Arts College in North America. He has been critical of USA foreign policy and terrorist groups like ISIS for which he was mentioned by ISIS and threatened with death.
Website : Sandala
You Tube : Sandala Media Centre (just search his name on You Tube and you will get hundreds of videos of Hamza Yusuf)
Institution : Zaytuna college
Other initiatives : Deen intensive
Books authored :
- The Burda (2003)
- Purification of the Heart (2004)
- The Content of Character (2004)
- The Creed of Imam al-Tahawi (2007)
- Agenda to Change our Condition (2007)
- Walk on Water (2010), and
- The Prayer of the Oppressed (2010).
Watch this 7 part series : “Foundations of Islam” produced by Islam on demand. He explains topics like – Signs of last day, Articles of faith, Pillars of practice, etc.